Friday 27 November 2015

Afterthoughts

Here I am trying to work out how to take a full length photo of myself. I know you need to focus the camera on the mirror but how do you hide yourself holding the camera? I know a lot of the professional bloggers use a tripod and a timer and some have people to photograph them. I have my other half and occasionally my older grandson or even my daughter in law but mostly it's down to me.....maybe I need a selfie stick? Who knows? I don't mind technology - it just takes me a while to catch up with it!

I took this photo yesterday evening having been to the hairdressers and got my eyebrows done. Everything I'm wearing is charity shopped (or as the Americans say 'thrifted'). The dress, the waistcoat, the earrings and my Zara leather boots, £12.00 in the Red Cross shop. I can't remember which charity shops I bought the dress and waistcoat in which is worrying as it was only about 6 weeks ago.....The heart pendant I bought from the summer Dorothy Perkins sale for 99p. It was in Bloomsbury in London and I'd gone to visit the Persephone Book shop in  Lamb's Conduit Street and visit my oldest brother. If you don't know about Persephone books they are amazing - here is their explanation of what they do:

 "Persephone Books reprints neglected fiction and non-fiction by mid-twentieth century (mostly) women writers. All of our 115 books are intelligent, thought-provoking and beautifully written and are chosen to appeal to busy people wanting titles that are neither too literary nor too commercial." 

I have a small collection:




Don't be deceived by the simple covers, they have the most beautiful endpapers and matching book marks; my two favourite authors published by Persephone so far are Dorothy Whipple and Monica Dickens.



I've put a few more on my Christmas wish list year and hope to swell my collection.....

I also collect the original green Virago books:



I do read them as well!  I started my collection back in the early 90s when I did an MA in Women's Studies and I am always on the lookout for them in the charity shops.

 Off on a major rummage tomorrow with my OH; I'm really looking forward to it but the weather is looking lousy. Oh well at least it's not going to snow!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Veronica, good to meet you, thanks for commenting on my blog!
    The maxi dress and long waistcoat look fab. I use a tripod and the timer on my point-and-press camera, I can't rely on any of my family to take reasonable photos of me!
    Those green-covered Virago books are so familiar, I have a fair few from the 80s. xxx

    ReplyDelete

A weekend visitor and an exhibition

 Hello!  I'll soon be off to Ireland  so let me tell you what I've been up to over the last two weeks.  I'll start with a whinge...