Tuesday 22 March 2016

We're off to Donegal!



Yes -  we're off to Donegal on Easter Sunday for 11 days. I'm getting excited now and can't wait for Sunday to come. 

When I retired in March 2014, one of things I bought with my occupational pension lump sum was a mobile home in Co. Donegal, Ireland.  I had been  returning to Ireland regularly since 1997 for holidays. I often stayed with relatives and sometimes in rented cottages, but I really wanted a base as I knew I would be visiting Ireland regularly in the future as long as my health and mobility held
 out.


This is 'Ruby Super'. She sleeps 8. Her decor is a bit dated but I don't mind. We're only here for between 6 - 8 weeks a year and she's very comfortable. (When the youngest grandchild can go to school by himself I will probably stay for longer spells). The only drawback is she is not centrally heated; I couldn't afford a centrally heated one. The windows on the right hand side look out onto St. John's Point, which is about 5 miles away and Donegal Bay.  I can also see Ben Bulben, Co.Sligo (a mountain made famous by a W.B. Yeats poem here) from these windows. 

It is such a beautiful and peaceful place.There are several lovely beaches a short drive away and last year I had the magical experience of watching a pod of dolphins at play at Fintragh Bay.

This is our nearest beach at St. John's Point. I swam in the sea here last Easter - it was freezing but exhilarating!
When we get up in the morning in Donegal and look outside we often see hares playing. There are lots of them around and sometimes they bound past the mobile home when we're out on the decking. We also had an eagle fly over the site last year - and I missed it! I was out walking on my own and only found out when I got back. 


This is Tramore Strand at Port Noo. A lovely beach that is about 2 miles long. When the tide is out you can reach the little island. We nearly got stranded last year as the tide came in so fast - we waded back  to the beach thigh deep in water!

Internet connection at the site is sporadic so it is unlikely I'll be blogging until I come back but if I can I will. There is a lovely little cafe we eat at regularly in a nearby town which has free Wi Fi, so it's not impossible to keep in touch.


I wore this to the charity shop on Monday. Jeans bought at Lidl £7.99 - bargain! Jacket £1.00 rail, Age UK, Rushden some months ago. Top, Monsoon -  bought in last week's rummage from the RSPCA shop. Boots - Primarni.  All jewellery charity shopped except earrings - present from OH last year and turquoise ring - retail.
Oi you - who you looking at? I was talking to my OH while he was taking this photo...

I left the shop with some t shirts for the two grandsons. Nothing for me until  I went to the British Red Cross shop to see if they had opened up again after being closed all week because of flooding - and they were! I got really lucky. Another pair of green, loose summer trousers, a lovely patterned dress/tunic - with pockets -  and a fabulous cobalt blue Geiger jacket with embroidery and gold buttons that looks like it's from the 1980s. All three items were £1.99 each.


Jeans same as Monday. Cardigan - La Redoute sale about 6 years ago. Top - charity shop, boots charity shop.


Beads picked up last week in Keech Hospice shop. Bangles charity shopped and watch.


Earrings present from daughter about 2 years ago.

After the food bank on Tuesday I had to go into town.  I picked up a white cotton hat to take to Spain in July, and a lovely red disc necklace -  both for £1.00 in the Reuse Centre.

I'm off to Patti's 'Visible Monday' party at 'NotDeadYet'  here -
someone said we're having chocolate eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A weekend visitor and an exhibition

 Hello!  I'll soon be off to Ireland  so let me tell you what I've been up to over the last two weeks.  I'll start with a whinge...