Sunday 31 January 2016

Not buying it - Days 30 and 31


Day 30




I've been learning a lot from this blogging business. You think you know what suits you - clothes wise - you try and dress for your body shape (well I do), you think you know what colours suit you - and then you see the photos!

OMG - is that what I look like?

Since I started blogging almost 3 months ago, I've learned that I don't suit skater dresses or stretchy pencil skirts like the one I wore yesterday. So I've put 4 skater dresses, one other dress; 3 skirts, a pair of jeans, a pair of Gap trousers size 10; (I haven't been a size 10 in trousers since the late 1990s - what was I thinking of when I bought these?) 6 cardigans and a couple of tops in the charity shop bag. Not so long ago, I got rid of any jeans, trousers or skinny jeans that were low rise as they emphasised my 'muffin' top.  That amounted to about 8 pairs and then I got rid of 3 pairs of jeggings because they fall down onto my hips and I suffer from saggy crotch...not a good look on anyone!

 Despite making more room in my wardrobes with this cull, I've still got so many clothes that I could go until 2017 just shopping my wardrobe! Of course I will buy more clothes after day 42 or 56  - if I can last that long. But this time I will be shopping more critically and  much more aware of what looks good on me and what doesn't.

I will be looking out for more structured pencil skirts; A line dresses and I really, really want some boyfriend jeans. I had some but they were low rise so you know where they went, don't you!  I will continue looking for that special animal print coat and I know I'll find one. Top shop's recent popular one, which retailed at £80.00, was reduced to half price in their sale and then I saw it in the window of a charity for £39.99; unfortunately in both instances a size too small for me. Oh well. I will also be looking for more quality pieces and more vintage items and I will continue with the one in and one out rule.


I wore this today when I went to visit my son. I think this outfit suits me and I like pattern mixing - not something I would have done before I started blogging, but I've been inspired by other bloggers! Long may it last.

I have worn something similar to this here but again before the 'not buying it pledge'. Ankle boots
donated by my daughter; red skinny jeans charity shopped, striped top £1.00 rail charity shop in Wellingborough, cardigan charity shopped.


Owl pendant bought in Newport Pagnell Age UK for £1.00. Bangles charity shopped as is the
 watch, and earrings came from Debenhams in their Christmas sale 2 years ago.

Day 31

Well, you're in for a treat today - NOT! I've been so busy I haven't had time to put make up on. I'm very pale with out my blusher and highlighter, mascara and lipstick; I've never worn foundation.





We went for a 4.5 mile walk today, did the housework and cooked dinner for the family and had a lovely lie in until 9.30 hence no time to put the slap on.


I don't know how to describe these trousers. They're like joggers but cuffed but not wide like harem pants, and they have a thick banded elasticated waistband with two side pockets . Anyway, they're made out of a drapey, jersey type material and are very comfortable. From a charity shop of course. The yellow patterned top is a crossover one from Wallis and worn back to front also charity shopped, as is the grey knitted tunic. The boots are from Debenhams and were a Christmas present the Christmas before last from my OH.


I bought this necklace in Newport Pagnell last week in Age UK for £1.25. Earrings charity shopped, as is bangle (Willen Hospice in Newport Pagnell) and watch and ring.

Hope you have all had a lovely weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A weekend visitor and an exhibition

 Hello!  I'll soon be off to Ireland  so let me tell you what I've been up to over the last two weeks.  I'll start with a whinge...