Tuesday 8 February 2022

Signs of Spring...

 Once again that fortnight has simply flown by; it's true what they say about time speeding up as you get older - which seems very unfair!

I left you on a Tuesday having gone to the food bank in the morning. I was asked if I could go in again on Thursday to help out. The food bank now needs more volunteers especially for Thursday afternoons. Several volunteers have not returned since Covid and although there have been some new volunteers; one has to be pretty physically fit to do the work in the warehouse as it's quite demanding. Not all the new volunteers were able to do what was required so now we need to recruit more suitable volunteers. Meanwhile we are all mucking in. The food bank didn't used to open on Thursdays; it was the day the bulk of the admin got done but because of increased demand for food and hygiene parcels; it's become just another working day.

Warm and practical dressing on Tuesdays for the food bank and swimming afterwards. I managed another 48 laps or 1 mile - in 56 minutes!

This is the White Stuff tunic bought at the Daycare Hospice shop last Friday; Next jeans underneath and the boots by New Look; orange top 1.00 rail, all jewellery - all from charity shops.

It was another grey, cloudy, gloomy day on Tuesday -  so the light was very poor for taking photos. Middle grandson came to stay; I picked him and his gear up. This included his gaming computer; an X box; 2 rucksacks and a large computer monitor.  I wondered how much revision he'd get done with all that to distract him. In the event he didn't even set his X box up! I made dinner after doing a whites wash and sorting out the fire. I lit it a bit earlier than usual as it was so cold. In contrast it reached 10 degrees on Wednesday and in the afternoon it was bright and sunny. 

The weekly Wednesday group walk was fully booked up so I couldn't go, but I had lots of errands to run instead and the youngest grandson to be collected from school. I needed bird supplies from B&M and Home Bargains, had to return my library book and buy household cleaning items as well bits and bobs from Aldi. When I went to buy the bird supplies; I stopped at the London Road Daycare Hospice charity shop and bought - yes, you've guessed it - an armchair for my study! I originally had a (second hand) tub chair in the study but it wasn't very comfortable; after sitting a while in it my bottom becomes numb.  I had planned to use it as my reading chair when I bought it but because it was so uncomfortable not a lot of sitting in it took place. The 'new to me' armchair was a wing armchair, a style which I like; very comfortable and in a pale blue plaid. It would be delivered the following Tuesday.


Thursday was brighter and not so cold. I went for a swim but got there a little late as I forgot my entrance pass and had to go back home for it. I still managed to swim 42 laps or 1.4 km which was fine with me. I wore this outfit; M&S trousers; top by Primarni; both from charity shops;  polo underneath bought in Bedford market and boots were a Christmas present from my daughter. Jewellery also charity shopped.


After coming home and putting on a wash and getting ready I went to the food bank where I stayed for almost 2 further hours making up hygiene bags. From there I set off for Sharnbrook to buy more coal and kindling and then on to Lidl to do the weekly food shop. After that it was time to sort out the fire, hang up the wash and make dinner but we opted for a takeaway as middle grandson is such a fussy eater; he had KFC and I had Prawn Fried Rice from the Chinese takeaway.

We finished watching all the remaining episodes of 'The Responder' on catch up in the evening. A very tense drama; I found myself hardly daring to breathe in places! Martin Freeman was outstanding in the lead role and I'm sure he will win lots of awards for his performance.

I set off to view yet another art exhibition on Friday morning and ended up viewing 2 instead.  Both were in 'The Higgins' Bedford's art gallery and museum based in the Castle Quarter of Bedford near the Embankment. The first exhibition was called 'Going to Town' and featured the town of Bedford over the past 200 years in paintings. And the second was an exhibition of 'Edward Bawden: Artist Plantsman'. It was officially due to open on 29th January (Saturday) but I was allowed to view the exhibition as the staff had finished setting it up. It was a tiny exhibition; confined to one room but I had it all to myself!



I had a really enjoyable time and learnt a lot about Bedford from the exhibition. It was interesting how little some parts of Bedford had changed and were still recognisable today. The Higgins holds 3000 artworks by Edward Bawden (left to the museum in his will) and they have regular exhibitions of his work featured under different themes. This one was about his love of plants and gardens and how that spilled over into his work.

Design for Wedgwood


 
Designs for Fortnum and Mason
      


It was a chilly day but bright and dry. Everything I wore below was from a charity shop. Trousers by Zara, polo by John Lewis; tunic no label; boots as before. I was able to wear a headscarf and not worry about a mask as masks were no longer compulsory as from Thursday 27th January. I for one was very relieved. I believe some supermarkets were requesting shoppers still wear their masks and of course I would comply in that case. Luckily, Lidl didn't require me to wear one when I did the weekly shop yesterday.

All jewellery charity shopped.



On my way back from the exhibition I went to the cobblers to get some boots re-heeled. Whilst I was waiting to have them done I had a look in a couple of charity shops in the High Street. I found the perfect denim skirt by Dorothy Perkins in the Marie Curie shop. Knee length and A line and only 4.00; it was just what I wanted and had been looking for for months. I re-donated a denim skirt to the charity shop bag when I got home. I also found a Laura Ashley black velvet maxi dress for 5.00 in the Cancer Research charity shop; it was half price. I don't know when I'll wear it - for my birthday maybe but it's something I've always yearned for and now I'd found one. It was definitely my lucky day although after paying 16.00 to get the boots re-heeled it was a pretty expensive day. Especially, when I factored in that I had bought a book for 6.99 (reduced from 19.99) from the museum. I mean how could I have resisted? I'll have to have a no charity shop spend next week to make up for it...


When I finally got home I made a vegan goulash using a Delia Smith vegetarian recipe; making it vegan by using vegan yogurt instead of soured cream. It was quite tasty. 


There are signs of Spring in the garden: Primulus bought from Aldi. They've been planted in one of the window boxes on the front window sill.


The Fatsia Japonica has seed heads/blossoms...I think they're blossoms; if I remember rightly they turn into white flowers...


In the mini greenhouse there are lots of green shoots!


On Saturday morning I went to recce the walk I'm leading next week, walking 7.3 miles. I spotted snow drops growing wild by the roadside - Spring was definitely on it's way! When I got back OH had gone to see his mum in London so I had the house to myself. I made mincemeat crumble slices and my daughter came round to collect hers - she's a big fan of mincemeat crumble slices....


This was what I wore on Sunday. (I stayed in my walking clothes on Saturday). I wore new walking boots to break them in.  They were a birthday present from OH in 2020 but this was the first time I'd worn them. Jeans; label removed; jumper by Tu and polo by M&S; all charity shopped.


Scarf and jewellery all charity shopped.


I went for another walk of 5.3 miles on Sunday morning - hence the walking boots in the photo. Then back home to do the housework and cook a roast lamb dinner for everyone. I had more vegan goulash for mine. I meant to take part in the 'Garden Bird Watch;' organised by the RSPB, which I have done every year for the past few years, but I just didn't have the time as it's dark soon after 5 pm. We watched the 'Great Pottery Throw Down' and 'Trigger Point' in the evening and I made a start on my  Bedford spy book.   


We had heaps of donations at Barnardo's on Monday which we are always grateful for but unfortunately a lot of it was thrown away. I don't understand why people think charity shops want their chipped china and ornaments; dirty clothes and clothes that are very well worn or washed out. If it isn't good enough for you then it's not good enough to donate to a charity shop! Monday was very cold and windy (remnants of Storm Corrie) and we had to bring the 1.00 rail inside the charity shop as it kept blowing over in the wind...


This is the skirt I found on Friday by Dorothy Perkins; cardigan by Susan Bristol; jumper by M&S; boots by New Look and plaid tights, belt: all charity shopped.


All jewellery and scarf charity shopped.

I usually book my swimming slots on Fridays but I forgot to do it last Friday and at the weekend. I tried to book them when I got home from the charity shop but both my usual sessions were booked up. I was, however, able to find a couple of slots for Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning instead and booked those.  That will teach me to do my bookings on a Friday! And talking of bookings; the walk I was to lead on Wednesday was fully booked up by last Saturday, too. I wonder if we'll ever get back to not having to book everything in advance? Once upon a time you could just turn up at the pool and pay your entrance money and go for a swim. Not all Rambler's walks have to be booked in advance either; it's been left up to the walk leaders. I stick to the booking procedure whilst I can as I'd rather lead 24 people on a walk than 54 - which has happened in the past...

I spent Monday afternoon doing a towels wash, sorting out and lighting the fire, making dinner and catching up with blog land. 

The armchair arrived promptly at 9.30 am on Tuesday morning. It's very comfortable to sit in and I look forward to many hours of sitting and reading or even crocheting... the throw, cushion and pouffe were all found in charity shops.


This was what I wore to the food bank on Tuesday. It was such a mild day I didn't need to wear a jacket or a coat. The one I'm wearing was very lightweight from Peacocks; but I had a polo neck on underneath the black dress and thick woollen tights. Boots by Manteray and everything was found in a charity shop.


Scarf and all jewellery charity shopped.



It felt funny not going for a swim after the food bank but I had some errands to run and did those instead. I picked up my repeat prescription -  and one of my birthday presents! When I went to the cobblers last week I noticed he had branched out into antiques and collectables in his tiny little shop. I'd spotted a lovely Arts and Crafts pewter dish in the window and thought I'd ask OH to buy it for my birthday present. When I asked OH he said: 'why don't you buy it and I'll give you the money for it?' How romantic - I don't think! Anyhow, that was what I did on Tuesday afternoon.  I also popped into Boots and looked at the clearance section. They had a lot of make up reduced to 1.00; mostly discontinued lines I think. I bought a couple of red lipsticks. I continue to search for the perfect red lipstick. When I got back home as it was such a mild day with a gentle breeze; I hung out the bed linen I'd washed earlier and then made a casserole for dinner. I also tried to book a visit to Osterley Park House in London for Friday with my cousin but it wasn't open until March. We opted for the British Museum instead; I'd never been something I feel a bit ashamed of but that will be rectified on Friday. I was looking forward to catching up with Marian as well.


Once again I was very lucky with the weather for my walk. It was bright, breezy and a bit cloudy. Everyone turned up and everyone said how  much they enjoyed the walk. I made sure to book a place on next week's walk as soon as I got home. I changed into this to go and pick youngest grandson up from school. Dress/tunic by Boden; worn over polo neck and black tights. Everything charity shopped. The boots were found in the Daycare Hospice shop last week and they've been re-heeled;  I struggled to get the zips up. They're at the back of the boots so you can't see in this photo but they're not zipped up to the top. The boots have elasticated sides so I don't think my calves are too big - although they maybe; I do a lot of walking after all. I just wished I'd tried the boots on before I took them to the cobblers!! OH tried pulling the zips up with pliers (!) and one of the zips broke but we fixed that. I'll now have to see if I can get the cobbler to replace the zips giving me a little more leeway to pull the zips up. I shall investigate and report back. I don't want to have wasted the money I spent on them; there must be a solution....


All jewellery charity shopped.



After picking the youngest grandson up from school I sorted out the fire (I'll be glad when we don't need to light the fire in the evenings) did some reading and then made dinner for both grandsons. Middle grandson had two exams in the week with the final one on Thursday. I'm hoping he has done well; he seemed quite confident that he had.


This was how most people saw me on Thursday. I didn't take the poncho off when I went to the food bank again in the morning to help out by making up hygiene bags. I made 50 single and 12 family packs by which time I had back ache. From the food bank I went to the farm shop in Sharnbrook and on to Lidl to do the weekly food shopping. Yesterday, I popped into Aldi before I picked the youngest grandson up and completely forgot to buy tea bags. I drink Earl Grey tea all the time and Aldi's teabags are my favourite brand followed by Morrison's. I shall have to go to Aldi before the week is out to buy some more. Both grandsons love their tea and drink Earl Grey, too - we get through it quite quickly! Lidl had some hyacinths in at last and I bought a small pot. I have hyacinths in a pot on the doorstep; a couple on the hall table and I put this pot on the dining room table. I love the way they scent the house but I have to wait for them to bloom first.



The poncho was bought from Barnardo's towards the end of last year. Jeans by East; the boots I picked up somewhere but cannot remember where or if I bought them on line...I wore a blue patterned top underneath. Scarf and all jewellery charity shopped.

After unpacking the shopping and putting it away; I sorted out the fire and hung up the darks wash I'd left in the machine. After a much needed sit down for 50 mins; I then made dinner whilst listening to the last and latest Podcast episode of 'Slightly Foxed'. It was about idlers in literature; both writers and characters which I found somewhat ironic as on Thursdays I'm the complete opposite of an idler! I do enjoy a bit of idling though. I once spent an entire day sitting on the sofa and thinking; only coming out of my reveries to cook dinner. Running a home means always having to interrupt the things you enjoy to do mundane tasks like cooking, cleaning and washing. Still, I'm grateful I can still do all those mundane things and still have the time to do things I enjoy.


Boots present from daughter; dress by Tu, long sleeved tee by Joules; jeans by East; all charity shopped.

Scarf and all jewellery charity shopped. I took the scarf off in London as we had to wear masks on the buses.

It rained heavily all night and was still raining when I got up on Friday morning. I drove to London to Marian's house and then we set off via 2 buses to the British Museum. Using the bus rather than the tube means I can use my bus pass and travel for free. I can't do that on the tube but Marian can as people who live in London get something called a 'Freedom Pass' which allows them to travel on buses and tubes and some overground trains in and around London. It was a sunny day, bright but pretty cold and windy; thankfully the rain had stopped by then. It was an interesting visit to the museum but unless I take a grandchild I can't see me going back again. It's a huge place so we were quite selective; spending time looking at Chinese Ceramics,  the Islamic World, Ancient Iran  and Sutton Hoo and Europe  AD 300 - 1100, in some detail. We quickly looked at the mummies (Ancient Egypt) and the Assyrian artefacts. We also saw the famous Rosetta Stone; the Lewis Chessmen and I was totally fascinated by Lindow Man (Bog man). Unfortunately, as the light on this display was deliberately kept dim to preserve the remains; I couldn't see all the detail which was a bit frustrating.  I didn't take any photos as I wasn't sure it was allowed. Of the 7 eateries and cafes in the museum only two were open so things still hadn't quite got back to normal. Marian and I had a good catch up as well enjoying ourselves and from Marian's I went to visit my friend Bernie who only lives a short distance away. It was good to catch up with her, too.  I didn't get home until nearly 11 pm - what a dirty stop out!


After a pretty hectic day on Friday I chilled out on Saturday. The Honesty seeds I'd reordered arrived just as I made breakfast for me and youngest grandson who had stayed overnight. I got dressed and pottered about doing little jobs around the house including putting on a wash. It was still very windy out so I hung the wash on the line. I went for a swim in the afternoon; swam 48 laps or 1 mile finishing just as the whistle blew.  It was surprisingly not crowded which was what I was expecting; it being the weekend. I went to Sainsbury's for a few things that had been forgotten on Thursday then came home to chill out. OH made dinner and I read and spent time on the lap top looking at ferry bookings to Ireland for Easter. There seemed to be no travel restrictions to Ireland; just the need to show proof of vaccination. Thank goodness for small mercies.


Everything was charity shopped. Boots as before. Skirt by M&S (Per Una); top by Isle and cardigan by Masai.


All jewellery charity shopped. I lost one of these earrings when I went to Sainsburys; earlier in the week I lost one of a red pair that middle grandson's mum bought me years ago. Some weeks it goes like that...



I went for a swim at 9 am on Sunday morning and swam another mile or 48 laps. I was knackered at the end... I was very surprised at how relatively uncrowded the pool was on both Saturday and Sunday. I now quite fancy swapping my Tuesday swim to a Sunday morning one. After eating a hearty breakfast I decided to try and make some earrings to make up for my two recent earring losses. I made these 2 pairs above; using beads from old necklaces but unfortunately I didn't have any red beads. I also shortened some of my long dangly earrings as I find I wear dangly earrings less and less. They often are too long for my necklaces and they always get caught up in scarves. My favourite earring type is the ball type as above;  and square, rectangular or teardrop shaped earrings. After feeling pleased with my Sunday morning creative spurt; I made a 'Very Veggie Lentil Bake' for dinner for my daughter and me as well as making a roast dinner for the rest of the family. The usual weekly housecleaning was done before any cooking commenced. We watched 'The Great Pottery Throw Down' in the evening and started watching another Finnish drama called 'Deadwind'.



Everything 
bought from a charity shop. Homemade dress (not by me); cardigan is very old; boots by Clarks.


All jewellery charity shopped.

Imagine my horror when I got to Barnardo's on Monday to be told the task for Monday was to thoroughly clean the shop! I hate cleaning. All donations had been suspended  until Thursday to allow the cleaning to take place. The first task was to remove any sellotape and sticky residues from the shop windows and doors. Then I cleaned our 3 display cabinets and wiped down and rearranged all the shelves and shelving units around the shop. I enjoyed rearranging the goods for sale on the shelves. All that took me up to 1 pm and home time. I left with a layering polo neck jumper I wished I'd bought a week back; luckily it was still there. I also bought a red spotted M&S skirt. When I was at the food bank on Thursday I was asked if Barnardo's had any odd bowls that could be used for cereal by the food bank clients; I said I'd see what I could find. I found 11 bowls in an assortment of plastic, glass and china and purchased those for the food bank. As we rag some of our unsold donated clothing we also pass on our unwanted bric a brac. I asked if in future any odd bowls that might be discarded by the shop be kept for me and I would buy them for the food bank.


The first thing I noticed when I got in was that one of the the hyacinths had bloomed. It was a very pale pink and not the deep purple one I like the best.  I did the usual sorting out of the fire when I got home; hung up a whites wash and made some vegan flapjacks and chicken soup from yesterday's leftovers. I also washed the kitchen floor as I ran out of time yesterday to do it. I had an unfortunate encounter with a rat in the garden. I have to stop putting food on the ground for the birds as clearly the rats are getting most of it. It's such a shame as some birds are ground feeders and won't eat from the feeders. The rat picked up most over the left over chopped up roast potatoes; carrying them off behind a large green plant pot. It then crossed the length of the garden to get to the other bird feeding station where it took what was left there; each time going back to behind the green planter. I shall ask OH to investigate; if I looked behind the planter and saw a nest with baby rats in it I would have a conniption! I had to admire the rat's endeavours all the same. I caught up with blogs and wrote my own in the evening.


This was what I wore on Tuesday to the food bank. It wasn't a cold day but I wore my jacket in the warehouse. They were pleased with the bowls I brought in from Barnardo's. I made up 30 single and 30 family hygiene packs and restocked the crates. I told them I wouldn't be able to do an extra session this Thursday as sometimes I find it's a bit much. I think I will do every other Thursday until they got more volunteers. It's a busy Thursday again this week as there is the usual swimming and shopping plus a  hairdresser appointment.

Everything charity shopped.
This was the M&S skirt and polo neck I bought at Barnardo's on Monday; boots as before and jumper by Simon Jefferies. 

I went for a swim in the afternoon just managing 48 laps or 1 mile. I'm hoping today's swim will be the last Tuesday swim for a while. I shall go swimming on Thursday and Sunday mornings instead; starting next week which will be more convenient. I can also run any errands I have on Tuesday afternoon. A change is as a good as a rest they say!

See you in a fortnight!

22 comments:

  1. You are just an Energizer bunny, Vronni! You do so much in a day, between volunteering, swimming, walks, and keeping your home! I feel positively slothful next to you, ha ha.

    Some lovely outfits here! Favourites: all the leopard (I'm a fan, like you!), the new jean skirt, and the Per Una skirt. I am smitten with your new reading chair - it's gorgeous, and I love the mixed prints of the stool, pillow and throw with it.

    How exciting not to have to wear masks! I have a feeling that mask mandates will loosen here in the next month or so, and we'll see what that means for me going back to full-time work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It really feels like freedom not to have wear masks, Sheila. I'll wear them if I have to in certain shops but most shops here aren't enforcing mask wearing. I just try to keep my distance from people...
      xxx

      Delete
  2. I feel giddy having just read all your last fortnights activities! Some lovely outfits on you especially the new denim skirt, you are always so co-ordinated. Daughter D would love that poncho and the chair was a brilliant find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The poncho isn't very warm although it looks as if it should be.
      xxx

      Delete
  3. you show that warm and practical dressing has not to be bland.....
    love all your patterned tunics over trousers and all the accessorizing with big beads and coourful headscarfes!
    well done with the earings - they look elegant and stylish. and the "dressing up" of your new chair is lovely - fab pattern mixing for extra gemütlichkeit!
    glad that you could go to another interesting exhibition - i´m so craving culture now......
    i totally believe that both of your volountary job are very demanding - i´m always in awe how you manage them AND all the household and family stuff - and then swimming a mile and walking several times a week - what is your trick?
    <3 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beate. I don't have as much energy as I used to but I have lots of stuff to do so I do it! I do sometimes feel very tired after day's activities but a few hours sitting down or watching TV and I feel fine...
      xxx

      Delete
  4. I agree that the weeks seem to be whizzing by lately. One day I'm lamenting the end of the weekend, and in a blink of an eye it's Friday again ...
    Well done on finding an arm chair in the charity shop. Jos went to have dinner with his daughter two weeks ago and when he drove her home they stopped at the charity shop where she too bought a wing armchair. The only problem is that the cats have claimed it and she hasn't been able to sit in it very much :-). Your chair is gorgeous, by the way.
    The exhibitions you visited look very interesting. I particularly loved seeing those Edward Bawden designs!
    We didn't have to wear masks for about a month back in October, although I still did so in busy places. It was a relief indeed to walk into a book shop, for example, and not just having a clear view - no fogging up of glasses - but to actually smell the books!
    Loving the signs of Spring in your garden and of course, I loved seeing all your outfits. I particularly loved the Dorothy Perkins skirt and the chunky necklace you wore with that outfit. I also loved that cozy poncho and of course the pink Polyester Princess dress :-)
    Oops about the boot zipper, I do hope you'll find a solution.
    I don't envy you having to clean the shop ...
    As for the British Museum, I have visited several times, and it be quite exhausting as there's so much to see. I do remember the Lindow Man!
    And now I think I'm going to have a lie down. I'm exhausted just reading what you've been up to. You really do seem to make the most of your time whereas I, apart from at the office, am just inclined to potter ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted a wing armchair! Luckily, I have no cats to claim it...You're so right about the non mask wearing - it's good to smell things again. I've always been a person who is constantly on the go - as long as I can do it I will because the day will come when I HAVE to slow down!
      xxx

      Delete
  5. And people say I never stop!
    I recognise some of those Edward Bawden artworks, what a talented (and generous man). The Wedewood ceramics are really eye-catching, aren't they?
    I haven't been to the British Museum since I was a school girl, I don't think they'd unearthed the bog man back then and I vividly remember being fascinated by a documentary I saw on him.
    I love the wing back chair (very country house!) and I'd have snapped up that spy book, too.
    Our cobbler stitches elastic gussets into too-tight boots - I wonder if your chap could do the same?
    Isn't it exciting to see signs of Spring? Mind you, it'll probably mean a foot of snow is immiment!
    Loving all the outfits, the pink vintage mini dress and the all-black with the Peacocks' topper especially.
    Hooray for a trip to Ireland and not needing those expensive tests. If only they'd abolish the need for that PLF and having to waste time on the internet when you're trying to have a holiday!
    Isn't The Throwdown good? The contenstants are all so talented it seems like an absolute crime to send any of them home! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix.
      I'm off to chat to the cobbler tomorrow to see what he can do. Fingers crossed he does elastic gussets; he's old school so I think he can and if not there's another old school cobbler in the town, too. I am loving the throw down..
      xxx

      Delete
  6. What a busy two weeks you've had. Wonderful outfits as always, and I really like the earrings you made for yourself. I think about doing something with my broken bits and pieces but never do. Perhaps now you've inspired me.
    Museums, swimming, walks-so much to do. I hope you get some time to sit in your new armchair and enjoy it. You found a very pretty one.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Goody.

      I bought my self some jewellery pliers and some earrings bits and bobs from eBay so I can make away to my hearts content and it's a good way to recycle broken jewellery bits.
      xxx

      Delete
  7. What are mincemeat crumble slices please? I adore your posts and clothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello DeeJay,

      Mincemeat crumble slices are a type of cake containing mincemeat (sweet) and pastry with a crumble topping. I got the recipe from a website called 'Jam and Clotted Cream'. They're delicious!

      Delete
  8. I love Tuesday's outfit with the floral jacket, it's so pretty over that outfit! it's good you can help out at the foodbank too although sad demand is still so high! :(

    It's interesting your mask restrictions are being dropped - i don't know if they will do that here, so far all our border rules (like having to have negative tests and quarantine before you go out in public) have been dropped, and there is no contact tracing, but there are a lot of cases so I'm feeling safer wearing masks indoors right now. I'm sure I will catch it from the kids though, that's how most people I know have caught it as the school holidays are over and the kids are back at school, haha!

    Hope you had a great weekend. I spent a lot of time this weekend at playgrounds with the kids! :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mica and thank you!

      Yes, it seems to be the children here passing it on but so far my youngest grandson (aged 11) hasn't had it yet...

      I used to spend a lot of time in playgrounds with my grandchildren - it's great when the weather is good. I used to have them bribe them to leave the playground with the offer of some sweets or an ice cream. Bad Nanny!
      xx

      Delete
  9. You are absolutely brilliant with your color combinations, and your individual styles. Love so many of these looks! The armchair is a brilliant find! Have a great day!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree that time flies!, I've not even got used to the new year.
    I'm also happy that masks are not compulsory anymore. They're still compulsory indoors here, and most people keep on wearing them in the busy streets. But it feels liberating not having them all the time!.
    It's always amazing that you manage to do so many things. Mundane tasks can be so time consuming, but glad that you enjoy your walks, swimming, volunteering, and even have some time for reading. Love your new reading chair indeed, it looks cute&comfy!
    Your outfits are always fabulous, love your style, particularly the way you wear tunics over trousers and jeans. You Rock It and it looks also really comfy!. Love the monochromatic ensemble you wore to the (really interesting) exhibitions, the mixed patterns and red accessories are fab!
    Love your yellow dress over jeans you wore to visit the British Museum. It's one of my favourite museums ever but quite overwhelming!. I'd love to take my nieces there!.
    Also lovely plaid skirt with mixed patterns, so stylish!.
    You're particularly gorgeous in your patterned dress with blue tights&cardi, and love you in reds too!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica. I'm glad you don't have to wear masks all the time; hopefully soon they'll be a thing of the past....
      xxx

      Delete
  11. As you know I’ve been away for a while and reading this Day In The Life Of I realize what I’ve been missing. And rather than finding your jam-packed days exhausting, I find reading about them strangely relaxing! Though if I were to write about my daily comings and goings, it wouldn’t be as riveting and mesmerizing.

    Looking at your daily pattern mixings and smart cared for appearance has left me telling myself I should start making some effort with my appearance … well maybe not every day to start with, but a few days in the week would be a good start and I feel hubs would appreciate my efforts. Baby steps. So thanks for the inspo.
    I love your rust and your grey outfits and am in love with your new skirts, both blinkin gorgeous. I need a new denim skirt as mine bulges around the zipped tum, and a wash dye a line like yours will be ideal. My granddaughter has started working at a local charity shop for her DoE; it’s where I get most of my jewellery finds, so I must hang out there soon and maybe I’ll be lucky enough to find myself a similar skirt.

    And finally, pattern mixing your arm chair like you do with your outfits - genius!

    Hugs, Mary xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I know you'll feel a lot better getting 'dressed up' a few days a week. The blog'd a great help with that, I find. Hope something good turns up for you in granddaughter's shop. You never know! I've just come back from a rummage to Northampton with my daughter who was bowled over in 2 charity shops where they had 1) Lots of brand new Topshop items and 2) Lots of brand new ASOS items; all half price. She was a very happy bunny!
      xxxx

      Delete

A weekend visitor and an exhibition

 Hello!  I'll soon be off to Ireland  so let me tell you what I've been up to over the last two weeks.  I'll start with a whinge...