Tuesday 3 March 2020

Half term week and the Skirt Challenge continued

This was me setting out for Devon on Friday. I didn't take any more photos - too busy chatting and rummaging! That's my 'posh' coat; imitation astrakhan from M&S; charity shopped in the RSPCA in Newport Pagnell for 25.00.

After the food bank on Tuesday I went for walk. I avoided the muddy fields and walked 6 miles just using concrete paths. I felt good when I'd finished and as I got home it began to rain - heavily. Good timing, Veronica!

I took my middle grandson to London on Wednesday as it was half term week. He wanted to go to Wembley Stadium - he's a great football fan so I booked tickets for a tour. I wasn't bored stiff either. We saw the changing rooms, the bit where the players are interviewed after the match and the media room where the managers are questioned by the press. There was also an exhibition about the history of Wembley Stadium. I remember it best in its old form with the twin towers. My friend's Dad took us to greyhound racing there back in about 1969 and I think we went to see women's hockey finals there when I was at school.


I wore this cape style coat by First Avenue made of 100% wool. I bought it in the Red Cross shop for 5.00 when I volunteered there some years back. It's a vintage cape coat; you can tell by the label; but because it's wool the neck bit can be bit itchy...


Grandson could have had any number of photos taken in the Stadium as it was part of the tour but he declined. He did let me take this photo of him though...


In the 'posh'  padded seats!



In the afternoon we took a Thames Clipper to Greenwich where we saw the Prime Meridian and the Cutty Sark. We then took a bus to King's X, had something to eat and went home. Grandson was so knackered by all the walking he fell asleep on my shoulder! It was a great day out but very cold and damp. I feel quite honoured that my 15 year old grandson wants to spend the day with me still!


(Old) County Hall from the Thames.

Outside the Maritime Museum in Greenwich


View from the Royal Observatory in Greenwich Park.

Thursday was a manically busy day. I took the car for its MOT at 9am; then walked to the hairdressers and back home again. I put a wash on then went to collect the car and did the food shopping. I also picked up a sack of kindling which I buy from a local charity rather than a big commercial store; it does entail a car ride but I was shopping in the area anyway. Then it was home to unpack the shopping and put it away; hang up the washing and off out again to fetch the youngest grandson. I took him to the cinema to see Dr. Dolittle and then onto Nando's for something to eat - this was all his choice. He doesn't like travelling very much so he didn't want to come to London with us on Wednesday. Plus it's nice to spend time with the grandsons individually as well as together. When he had gone home I still had the stove to clean out and dinner to cook. Needless to say I was pretty knackered after all that!

I wore this on Thursday. You've seen this jumper before - it's by Wallis; charity shopped from the 1.00 rail in a Stevenage charity shop. For some reason it looks orange in these photos but it is as red the plaid skirt by Topshop; also charity shopped. I added this little hand knitted waistcoat  (1.00 rail) for extra warmth and I wore my tan OTK boots.

Skirt Challenge - Day 6



All jewellery charity shopped.


On Friday I set off to spend the weekend with Hilary in sunny old Devon. It was wet and windy on the way there. We had a great catch up; went out for a curry and on Saturday morning went back to Teignmouth for a rummage. It was quite bright and sunny by the time we arrived there but very windy. The Teignmouth residents were up in arms about British Rail wishing to extend their route; this would entail losing 1.7 k of their beach. There were posters everywhere and petitions in every shop and they were planning a demonstration by making a human chain along 1.7 miles of beach that British Rail had their eye on.  I could only wish them the best of luck.


We were both quite successful with the rummaging. I found a pair of Seasalt wooden soled clog/shoes 7.99; a fab pair of gloves for 2.00; 2 bangles and 2 brooches; a small tray for my kitchen and a brightly decorated pull for the shower cord. Teignmouth only has 6 or 7 charity shops so we had a look round Hilary's local charity shops in Tiverton in the afternoon and the shower pull was the only thing I found there.


This was Sunday's outfit. Everything charity shopped except the boots. Tunic by Boden; striped top by Primarni; patterned jacket by Traifur found on the 1.00 rail in the DayCare Hospice shop. Jeans are by Next and were also charity shopped. I forgot to mention that on my manically busy day on Thursday I found the time to check the Daycare Hospice shop which is close to my hairdressers. They still had their 1.00 sale on and I bought this jacket; a  wine coloured jumper by Oasis; a shirt dress and a yellow big sleeved jumper.


All jewellery charity shopped.



Skirt Challenge - Day 7

I wore this to volunteer on Monday. There was only me and the manager and such a lot of donations...



All jewellery charity shopped. The necklace and earrings are both from my Barnardo's.


Everything charity shopped except the leggings; Bedford Market; and boots online retail. Skirt by East; jumper by Oasis; 1.00 rail from Bedford Daycare Hospice and jacket by River Island 50p from my Barnardo's.


It was so busy I was glad to get home and have a sit down!

I had come down with a cold the previous week and spent Sunday night and Monday night awake; coughing for hours. I decided not to go into the food bank on Tuesday because of this, and because of the cold in the warehouse and the desire not to spread my germs. I did go out for a dull but cold 6 mile walk. On Wednesday, I walked with my group for the first time in ages from the village of Turvey in a big loop. It was good to see the group again and catch up with a particular walking friend, Jan. The walk was extremely muddy and slippery -  and cold. I changed into this when I got back:


This shirt dress is by Papaya (Matalan) and was from the 1.00 rail in the Daycare Hospice shop. Jumper by Oasis from the same place. Fleece leggings from Bedford market. I think I would prefer to wear this as a shirt in future; especially as the very small buttons at the bottom kept popping open!


All jewellery charity shopped.

On Thursday, I did a 6 mile walk with my daughter to Bromham village and back. The river wasn't particularly high but my goodness it was an icy cold day; the wind chill factor made it so even though it was very sunny at times. I did the food shopping after that; and as my Barnardo's was having a 1.00 sale on all its men's and women's wear to make way for the summer wear roll out; I paid a visit - can't miss a bargain! I picked up a sparkly roll neck jumper by Tu; a black jacket by Zara with lovely sleeves and a pair of pair Zara patterned summer trousers; all at 1.00 each. This was Thursday's outfit:

Skirt Challenge - Day 8


Everything charity shopped. Skirt by Next; jumper by F&F 1.00 rail; Bedford Daycare Hospice last week; boots bought in Oxfam. The tights are a yellow colour with black embroidery also from a charity shop years ago. They don't look yellow in the photo. Look at how long the jumper's sleeves would be if I didn't turn back the cuffs  -  that's the problem with  having short arms...


The plastic bags contain the chair bed from the loft as youngest grandson and his mum stayed over.


All jewellery charity shopped.

When I started this skirt challenge I said I had 16 skirts (not including maxis). In fact, I found I have 20 in all. Now I find  'short' skirts the hardest things to wear and the least enjoyable, so I took a very critical look at my collection and jettisoned 8. I have 4 left to complete the challenge; a bit more space in the wardrobe and another couple of bags to go to the charity shop!

Friday was wet and cold.  I did the school run as per usual and I sorted out my skirts as above and dropped them off to the charity shop. I went for a swim in the afternoon and did my 30 laps. I couldn't go last week as it was half term and there is no daytime lane swimming only early morning lane swimming. I may start to do this as the days get longer and brighter and then I'd have the whole day free!

Friday's outfit


Everything charity shopped except the boots - present from my daughter.


All jewellery charity shopped.


The roll neck was from my Barnardo's in the 1.00 sale; I've had the leggings for years and the tunic by Swamp is also a few years old; but can't can't remember which charity shop it came from. You can't see it in any of the photos as my arm is obstructing them; but there are two big buttons on the r hand side  of the tunic at the front!

Saturday was the day of the previously postponed birthday meal in London for my brother. It was also the extra day in February - 'Leap Year'; where women can traditionally propose to men. Did you? Did they say yes?

Julian didn't make his birthday meal. He got back from a gig on  Saturday early evening and found he'd been burgled. Nothing was taken but his door completely smashed in and he had to wait for someone to come and make it secure. What a shame.


This was my outfit. M&S dress from my Barnardo's for 5.00; jacket by Zara 1.00 sale my Barnardo's; OTK boots; online retail. All jewellery charity shopped.


Just so you can see the lovely sleeves on the jacket. The dress has the same sleeves; but it is slightly too big for me although it's my usual size; it's too loose round the middle. M&S are usually consistent in their sizing so I am surprised.


I started a new blanket on Sunday to use up my blue wool stash. It's the 'Cupcake pattern' from Attic 24 HERE. She called it that as she used pastel cupcake colours for her blanket; but it's just 2 rows of trebles alternated with 2 rows of treble clusters. My youngest grandson bought a cake of wool for me at Christmas in shades of blue, so I'm incorporating that into this blanket.


This was Monday's outfit for volunteering at Barnardo's. Everything charity shopped except black top from Lidl. It's a top I wear under my walking gear as it's supposed to keep one warm but not sweaty. The wind has been icy the last few days.


Jacket; my Barnardo's 4.00. Red trousers; Laura Ashley, can't remember and red tunic by Adini; also can't remember. The boots are by Zara and were donated to me by my lovely daughter. They're a deep wine colour.


All jewellery charity shopped except earrings bought in Donegal town.

Skirt Challenge - Day 9


I wore this to the food bank on Tuesday. Everything charity shopped except OTK boots as above.


Skirt by French Connection; label less top and white shirt by Gap;1:00 rail somewhere.


All jewellery charity shopped.

I've been enjoying 'Hidden', 'Murder 24/7', 'The Great Pottery Throwdown' and 'Just One Look' on TV. I've read both my new Persephone books; particularly enjoying 'National Provincial' by Lettice Cooper. Who knew politics in the 1930s could be so fascinating? I'm currently reading 'The Taxi Driver's Daughter' by Julia Darling. It's my birthday next week and we've planned a birthday meal at home on Sunday. and invited the crew. The new Hilary Mantel book - (part 3 of a trilogy about Thomas Cromwell - advisor to Henry V111) is published on Thursday and I'm hoping to get a copy for my birthday. 

The skirt challenge will continue!

16 comments:

  1. All that in just one fortnight! I am exhausted already. You certainly don't lack energy Vronni.
    As usual your outfits are stunning. You have an eye for colour and texture, and a bargain!
    I always enjoy a trip on the Thames Clipper when we travel via London. Great views of the city from the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I used to have more energy JayCee; I don't know where it went...

      Love the Thames Clipper!
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh no, poor Julian - what a horrible thing to happen on his birthday. Do send him our love.
    What a busy bee you've been. Your trip to Wembley looked really good, what a treat for your handsome grandson. Loved the cape you wore!
    Well done on accomplishing so much walking despite the hideous weather and for finding those clogs in Devon, I'd kill for those!
    So many fab outfits - I particularly love that M&S maxi dress on you and the mustard jumper with the lampshade sleeves.
    Loving series 2 of Hidden and Murder 24/7. Have you seen The Secrets of the V&A yet? It's a bit like The Repair Shed, which I love.
    Have a fab rest of the week, stay warm and dry! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Seasalt collection is growing Vix; a coat, a jumper and now a pair of clogs!

      Yes, I forgot to mention The Secrets of The Museum - it's fascinating and I love the Repair Shed, too.

      Luckily, they took nothing from Julian's even though he had expensive music equipment in his studio/spare room.
      xxxx

      Delete
  3. Oh poor Julian! I hope you get to catch up again soon. I love the skirt from day 9 of your challenge and the M&S dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gisela!

      See my comment to Vix above re Julian.
      xxx

      Delete
  4. What a horrible thing to have happened, and then having to miss his birthday meal to boot! Sounds like you had a lovely trip to London with middle grandson and spent a great afternoon with youngest grandson. Spending time with the individually is so rewarding. I'm loving the shoes and gloves you found in Teignmouth, which is actually a town I've been to, even if it is now over 20 years ago! And I really should take a leaf out of your book and do some more walking. Apart from the walking we did in Bruges, it's been far too long. As always, I'm loving your colourful outfits and amazing jewellery, my favourites being the skirt you wore for day 9 of your challenge, and Monday's outfit for volunteering at Barnardo's! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. I've just finished an 8 mile walk!
      xxx

      Delete
  5. Where do you find all the energy to do all that you do, Vronni! I'm boggled by the amount of walks and swimming you do, and then you volunteer and look after grandsons...I could not do it, so I hold you in high regard!

    Loving your outfits, particularly the run of ruffled sleeves. Those gloves and clogs are wonderful - I would have snatched those up too! How fun that you got to spend a day with each of the grandsons.

    I hope you get some warmer weather soon! Also, take care of yourself and that cough, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sheila!

      I used to have more energy but now I've learned that I have to pace myself and not do too much!
      xxx

      Delete
  6. activities with my grannies were always the best in my childhood - your grandsons are blessed with such a cool granny like you!
    looove the camel colored cape - very chic!! and you do look elegant in your tailored skirts with the fab patterns.....
    thankfully nothing was stolen from your brother - but i can imagine how uncomfotable one feels after such event.
    my fitness studio the garden has opened - it feels wonderful to dig in the earth after this very gray winter :-D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grannies were both too far away but I loved them both and wished I could have spent more time with them. You were lucky to spend time with your grannies. I hope my grandsons look back on me with the same fondness!

      There's a lot of keeping fit in the garden and yours is huge!!
      xxx

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a horrible thing to happen, particularly in your birthday, poor Julian!. Glad that anything was taken away!
    And so lovely that you spent some time with your grandsons, taking them to his fav places and creating a special relationship with every of them individually. You're brilliant, dear lady!.
    You look fabulous (and cosy) in your vintage cape, really elegant!. Love your red jumper and its sleeves, and the amazing clogs and gloves you purchased, such great finds!.
    Love your layering style and how you add interest and coolness with your fab necklaces!, lovely Friday's outfit! and also Monday's!. And love all the amazing sleeves you've been wearing!, the Day 8 pullover is fab!, and the jacket you wore for the birthday meal is so elegant!, you rock!
    Lovely blue color combo in the last outfit, and lovely skirt, such an interesting texture!
    Your new blanket looks really fab. I've been crocheting a little bit too, as it's not bad for my shoulder (I suspect it's not good either, but I was missing some crafting!)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica!

      I think as long as you're not crocheting for hours it should be ok. What are you making?

      Hope you're having a good week.
      xxx

      Delete

Very proud mummy.

  Hello and welcome!  No, I'm not pregnant but I do have a new 'baby'. More on that later. After a two week holiday and a long E...