Tuesday 4 September 2018

Off to Ireland and back again!

Since I last posted on here I've been to to Ireland and back again but let's just backtrack a little....



To look at what I'm wearing below you might think I am very patriotic. I'm not and as for the football World Cup I was not very interested...oh dear my secret is out! I did, however watch Argentina v France in the pub when we went out with my brothers in Kettering for an early birthday meal in July. where we also went for a bit of a rummage...

All jewellery charity shopped.

In this photo everything I'm wearing is charity shopped except the sandals from Clarks.


I bought this red/white/blue vest from a bargain
 rail on our rummage to Kettering. I also bought a necklace, some earrings and a brooch. That's it. Nothing else. OH did remarkably well and bought 7 tops; including a rather nice linen one that I spotted on a 50 pence rail!


Navy linen trousers by Next; cotton jacket by F&F.

Do you like my new hall table? I 'rescued' it from a skip. It just needed a good scrub. The baskets have white cotton liners which need to be ironed and so far I haven't been bothered. The L hand drawers house OH's collection of caps and the R hand drawers hold some of my scarves - all nicely folded and rolled and all my gloves. The top shelf will be used for things that need to be picked up or dropped off to members of the family or others. There's always something; in this photo there's a football sticker book belonging to youngest grandson and a book of mine for the charity shop.


On the Tuesday before I left I volunteered at the Food bank. This was what I wore. When I return from Ireland in September I'll be volunteering every week as I've given up the library. I'm also thinking of becoming a 'Befriender' at the Yarlswood Immigration Detention Centre, which to my shame is located in the village of Thurleigh in Bedfordshire. I shall find out more about it when I'm back and make a decision. It's something I've been thinking about for a while.


 Everything is charity shopped. I just can't remember where I got this homemade lightweight jacket but it was  few years ago and I love it. I love the colours; the length is good for trousers or skirts and the material has a metallic sheen which lifts it out of the ordinary.  The snake print jeans are by Next and the green top by M&S. I got this top in the Red Cross shop for 1.99 and I wouldn't be surprised if the jacket didn't come from there, too. Can't remember where I got the black sandals from.


All jewellery charity shopped.

In the week before I travelled to Ireland I tried to take things easy. I had errands to run in town and managed to  walk 5.75 miles  on Wednesday, but when I got home my knee hurt a bit going up and down the stairs, so I rested it all afternoon. 


The last of the lilies from the garden.


Everything is charity shopped except my shoes which are from PJ shoes. Trousers are by Select and again I can't remember where I got them from...

I bought the top from a sale rail at the Sally Army shop in Rushden for 1.00. I felt a bit miffed I didn't find much on our rummage to Kettering, so I visited Rushden for a quick peek on Tuesday afternoon after the food bank. I also bought three pairs of earrings and some books (they had a book sale on) in the same charity shop.  I bought three geranium plants for a 1.00 at  a florist shop as well, They always have bargain plants.


All jewellery charity shopped; the earrings picked up from the Sally Army in Rushden.




This is what I wore to travel to Ireland in on July 8th. The kimono top is actually a dressing gown; I bought it in the 3:16 shop on the 1.00 rail. Everything I'm wearing is charity shopped.  Top by Next 1.00 rail. Blue shoes by Clarks also charity shopped.

On the ferry out I was accompanied by this seagull who spent a lot of the crossing eyeballing me inside!


What a fine fellow!

I spent 8 weeks in Ireland and it was a wonderful break from the usual routine but it was bittersweet in many ways. My uncle who was in his 80s had a stroke before I left for Ireland and died shortly after I arrived. I attended the funeral and met up with several of my mother's cousins whom I had never met before. It was lovely to meet up with lots of family even though it was a very sad occasion. There's only two maternal aunts left now.


I wore the same outfit to the funeral but with different trousers. Those are my cousins Linda and Doirin at the front with me and two second cousins behind; Sean and Eamon, and my uncle's best friend Michael. This is the graveyard where my maternal grandparents are buried and several of my mum's sisters.

Then 6 weeks later my cousin Richard died unexpectedly. It was very shocking and it hasn't really sunk in even now. He was only 49 and left two children aged 6 and 4.  Life is very cruel sometimes. Again, I attended the funeral and went to the cremation but this time OH had come out so we went together.


RIP Richard. You will be sorely missed.

I spent most of the time in Ireland on my own. I visited cousins, did some walking, my daughter came out for a few days and OH came out for the last week. One day, I took myself off to Fanad Head in Donegal.  It is the furthest North I've been in Donegal and next year I must make it to the very furthest north of the county.  On the day I went to Fanad Head it was one of the few nice days I had in terms of the weather. Most of the time it was grey, very cloudy, drizzly and sometimes torrential rain. It was never cold though although the temperature was usually a a good ten degrees lower than in the UK.



I bought this jacket in Oxfam in Kilburn for 2.00. All jewellery charity shopped. I took very few personal photos as I forgot my selfie stick.


The one and only occasion I got to swim in the sea. It was glorious and the sea was warm once you were in. It was only the salt water in  my eyes that made me get out...


I went walking with cousins. On this occasion we walked in Union Wood, Co. Sligo and up to Union Rock. Cousin Caroline and cousin in law Martina, with Willow and Taylor - two beautiful dogs.



The orange shirt I'm wearing was one of the very few items of clothing I bought in Ireland. From a charity shop in Donegal for 2 euros. In total I bought 2 tops; 1 dress and 1 hat. I bought a few items of jewellery and quite a lot of books. I also read a lot of books; 26 in July and 20 in August. Have a look at my 'Books Read' page if you'd like to see what I read.

If you look carefully in the background of the picture above you can see two famous Co. Sligo mountains. To the right of me is Ben Bulben and to the left; Knocknarea. At the very top of this mountain, just discernible, is the cairn of Queen Maeve. The first time I brought my family to Ireland in 2005 we climbed this mountain and laid a stone on top of the cairn.


It's a bit more obvious in this photo.

On my walks, I:


Met a hare


Picked wildflowers; Monbretia and Meadowsweet.  
And I did a very special walk of 20 miles! 2018 is the 460th anniversary of the sinking of a number of ships  from the Spanish Armada along the Sligo and Donegal coast. The walk I did was to commemorate the walk of shipwrecked Spanish sailors from the 'La Duquesa Santa Anna' off the coast of Donegal. The sailors encamped near Rosbeg at Kiltoorish and then walked 20 miles to Killybegs to join some Spanish ships that had taken shelter there from the dreadful storms that had caused their shipwreck in the first place.


This stone will be placed at the starting point of the walk. As you can see it is not properly mounted here.



These two guys were dressed in Spanish sailor and soldier costume from the period. They were part of a re enactment group and gave us a very interesting talk and demonstration of weapons; costumes and social history.


The walk was split into to two parts. 7 miles in the morning; back for lunch at the Ardara Community Centre (above) then 13 miles to Killybegs in the afternoon. I made it, but oh boy was I stiff the next day!


Ceremony in Killybegs to lay the plaque to denote the end of the walk.


Spanish Armada 1588
The last steps of the 1200 crew of La Duquese Santa Ana  and La Girona on Irish soil.

I really enjoyed the walk; I met some lovely people and I have a new personal best in walk miles!

It's very good to be home. I'm loving the beautiful warm sunny weather here. I really missed my grandchildren and children so I've been spending the past few days with them to make up for lost time.

In my next post I'll fill you in on what else I did on my holidays!






25 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, and I adore your blue kimono/dressing gown - I have a vintage dressing gown, and I must get it out and wear it now that they/kimonos are a thing again.

    Oh, Vronni, I'm so very sorry to hear of your uncle's stroke and passing, and it's incredibly tragic that your 49-year-old cousin also passed away. *hugs and good vibes*

    Wonderful pictures, although (I'm sorry!) I laughed at the "mountain". They are a little bigger here... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so, so sorry to hear of your Uncle and Cousin's deaths. 49 is far too young to go.

    a 20 mile walk! Congratulations. I haven't walked or run in over a month as I'm resting, but the thought of 20 miles makes every joint in my body cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home! You look lovely in your kimono and reclining on the beach and that hall table was a brilliant rescue.
    How sad to hear of your uncle and cousin's deaths. 49 is so young and even more heartbreaking with two young children involved.
    Volunteering at Yarlswood sounds admirable, you're a wonderful person. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures, you look adorable in your kimono and the red, blue and white color combo is fabulous (I think it's pretty summery!). What a fantastic place to go for a walk, those landscapes are breathtaking, and you look fab in your colorful outfits, cute scarves and accessories!
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your uncle and cousin. Sometimes life is cruel, as you said. Particularly sad when there are some children involved.
    And I admire your work as a volunteer, what a great job!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica. I like red, white and blue together but don't wear it that often.
      xxxxx

      Delete
  5. So pleased to see you back,I have missed you. Some lovely clothes and pictures. Sorry to hear of the deaths whilst you were away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Polly! I missed blogging but tried to keep up with my favourite blogs.

      Delete
  6. So saddened to hear of your uncle & cousin's passing. Please accept my heartfelt sympathies on the loss of your loved ones.
    Love your colourful thrifted outfits & Ireland looks so pristine & breathtakingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bibi. I'm still catching up with blogs and get to yours today.

      Delete
  7. Welcome back, my lovely, oh how I've missed you. Shame you missed the sun.
    Sorry to hear of your losses. Yes, life is cruel, my heart goes out to those two young children and their mother. My dad died at 47, I know how cruel life feels.
    On the bright side, love all your greens and corals and you did tell me you'd been wearing your beauty of a kimono.
    Looking forward to your next post and to hear more about your possible befriending.
    Much hugs, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. My dad died at 47, too. Far too young. Xx

      Delete
  8. Jam packed activity laced with colorful outfits obviously gives you so so much pleasure. Thanks for generous sharing. My fav, the blue/green jacket with the matching large matching bead necklace looks especially stunning. Reading more books will be an autumn aspiration with the northwest rainy season approaching. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Very sorry to hear about your losses - RIP both your uncle and cousin. It's so good to see you blogging again. As ever you are such a star as you find some wonderful bargains and put together great outfits with beautiful jewellery. Love that cropped in green and blue jacket - you look great in all the pics x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

    2. Veronica Cooke9 September 2018 at 05:42
      Thank you, Penny. It's nice to be back to blogging. I missed it and the blogging community when I was away.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back, Veronica! I've missed your posts, your colourful outfits
    and charity shopping updates. I can't believe it's been 8 weeks. How time flies! So sorry to hear about your uncle and cousin passing away. Love the rescued hall table and I'm admiring your work as a volunteer. Looking forward to your next holiday post! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So good to see you back on the blogging circuit again Vronni. Eight weeks is a lovely long break and didn't you do a lot! Happy and sad times with family - seems to be the way at our time of life my dear. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    I particularly like your patterned trousers and also the dressing gown-cum-kimono. I hope you continue in your recovery so that you may enjoy some longer walks.

    Have a good week!
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna. I enjoyed the blogging break but I did miss it!
      xxxx

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear of your family losses while in Ireland. It must have been a sad trip, mixed with the joy of seeing other relatives.

    Let us know if you do the befriending. Refugee Action is a charity I support; there are so many people in need of help and friendship.

    My dad's family always explained his dark skin and black hair as a result of the Irish side of the family, "a throwback to the Spanish Armada" (which there's no evidence for whatsoever). No-one ever mentioned the Indian or Burmese ancestry, which there definitely IS evidence for, and a lot more recently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's still used as an explanation for dark and/or swarthy Irish people today. Several people repeated it to me on the walk. I held my tongue...
      xxx

      Delete

Very proud mummy.

  Hello and welcome!  No, I'm not pregnant but I do have a new 'baby'. More on that later. After a two week holiday and a long E...