Thursday 17 May 2018

Catching Up and My Black and White Challenge

Necklace bought on Saturday rummage with Hilary at the 3:16 charity shop, 1.50. All jewellery is charity shopped.
My best friend Hilary came to stay with me at Bank Holiday weekend. And because it was a bank holiday she stayed an extra day which was wonderful. We spent Friday afternoon catching up. On Saturday we went for a rummage to Rushden and Kempston. Hilary loved the Sally Army shop in Rushden and declared it to be one of the best charity shops she had ever been to. I know Kelly of  'Mother of Reinvention' here would agree! I bought some necklaces and a pair of thick winter walking socks. An odd combination I grant you. In Kempston I bought a t shirt  (see below) and a pair of sandals. My charity shopping mojo had been revived!

On Sunday we went for a walk in the village of Sharnbrook; here we had walked up a little lane to see what was there and I took the opportunity to take a photo. I also took Hilary on my 'Bedford Blue Plaque Walk' on Monday. She had never seen so much of Bedford before and I've lived here for 37 years, now!

Hilary bought a couple of sunhats in Primarni - they were much needed it was a very hot weekend!
I was sad to say goodbye to Hilary but we're off to Cornwall in half term (daughter and I and two youngest grandchildren) and as Hilary doesn't live too far away in Devon she's going to come and stay for a few days.


This is the t shirt I bought for 1.99 in the Cat's Protection League. The jacket was bought retail a few years back in Beales sale - our local department store; the trousers were from the Guildhouse 3.50, and the shoes were retail.


All jewellery charity shopped except the earrings which were from Sainsbury's.


When Hilary went to Primarni on Saturday morning to pick up a few things I bought this lipstick there for 1.50. It's called 'Dark Pink' and is a lovely colour; a pinkish brown. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long because it has a glossy finish; even though I blot and reapply several times. Glossy lipstick just does not stay on which is why I don't often wear it.


I'm suffering from Wisteria envy!
I took photos of the glorious flowering wisteria on my Blue Plaque Walk which I led for the group last Friday. We have wisteria on our back garden wall and it has crept up to the second storey of the house BUT after 5 years of growth we have only ever had one blossom!

I wish this wisteria was mine...
People enjoyed my Blue Plaque walk and several said that although they had lived in Bedford for years they had not noticed all the plaques I included in the walk...16 in total and 7 miles of walking.


On Saturday I went to see my son. It rained all day...


Everything is charity shopped except the bag - online retail. The shoes were bought in a charity shop in Ely; trousers were from the 1.00 rail in the British Red Cross shop; the tunic was from there at 1.99 as was the jacket.

I do miss that shop. When I was volunteering there just before it closed down last October; this lovely turquoise linen M&S jacket had been on the rail for weeks - at 1.99! I couldn't understand why no one had bought it. It wasn't for me because it was a size too small. One day I was feeling very sorry for the jacket and decided to try it on anyway and guess what - it fitted! The motto here is always try things on and pay little attention to sizing unless it's obviously really tiny or too big...


All jewellery charity shopped.

Now, here's a strange thing. I have 8 pairs of  black and white summer trousers in my wardrobe. How did that happen?   They're all different and one pair - a pair of palazzo pants I've had for years. I love black and white and there are obviously lots of black and white trousers around and so I've picked up pair after pair. As I have so many pairs I am setting myself a challenge to wear all 8 pairs over the next couple of weeks each outfit being completely different with the exception of the footwear. So, here's Number 1 of 8....


                                                                                                                                                                                 I wore this on Sunday. We went to our local car boot sale but it was cancelled. I must paint my toenails...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

                                                                                                                                                                    Everything charity shopped except the kimono which was a Christmas present. I can't remember where I got the zebra print trousers from.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                                           More Wisteria envy. 
I passed this house in Biddenham village whilst out for a walk on Thursday. And I've also had to insert an image to avoid a huge gap and some weird stuff going on with my alignment....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
I've been busy reading Jane Smiley's 'The Last 100 Years' trilogy which follows the fortunes of an American farming family for three generations and is essentially a history of the USA in the last 100 years. All three books in the trilogy are fat paperbacks, the last one had 703 pages. 

I've also been  watching the series on BBC 4 on Saturday nights 'Salamander; 'The Split' on BBC 1 on Tuesday nights; (I love Nicola Walker - such a good actress) and of course the new series of 'The Bridge' on BBC 2 on Friday nights. 

When I'm not reading or watching TV in the evenings. I am carrying on with the 8 row Granny crochet squares I should soon have enough to join all 49 together with the JAYG (join as you go) method in cream wool.


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  They're stacking up nicely. I block the squares using a method saw on Pinterest. Cheap kneeling pads and wooden skewers used for kebabs and in my case testing whether or not my cakes are cooked in the middle.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         On Monday as it was such a beautiful day I decided to go for a long walk. I recced a new walk but it was 9.3 miles; a bit too long for the Wednesday Rambler walks, I think. Anyway, I really enjoyed it because I had tried to recce it before and took a wrong turning.

This time I used my OS map extensively and it worked. I felt such a sense of achievement. It felt so good to say; right after this by way I should come to a road - and I did! Or, once the footpath forks to left I should cross a stream  - and I did! On the other hand I forgot to bring my hat and got a bit sun burnt on my face; not good for the wrinkles at all.

This was what I  wore to volunteer on Tuesday at the Food Bank and library in the afternoon. Another beautiful sunny day.


Everything charity shopped. The skirt was from the Red Cross 1.99 and I think the yellow M&S linen jacket was, too. The shoes were bought in a Donegal charity shop for 3 euros. I've had the camisole for years and years.


All jewellery charity shopped.


I bought the earrings in Donegal - made by a local artisan; I like to support local artisans when I can.

 Black and white trousers outfit no 2.


Everything charity shopped. Coat 1.99; Red Cross. Tunic 99 cents; Dublin charity shop. Black shirt; 1 euro jumble sale in Ireland. Can't remember where I got the shoes, scarf or trousers from which are by H&M.


All jewellery charity shopped.



I've got a busy weekend ahead as it's OH's birthday on Saturday and we're off for a rummage in the day (definitely got my charity shopping mojo going...) and meeting up with the brothers in the evening for a birthday meal. Next week I am invigilating at the university where I used to work; I am hoping to go walking on Monday by myself and with the group on Wednesday and Friday. Next Saturday we set off for Cornwall, so there will be lots to tell you about in my next posts -  and there are 6 pairs of black and white trouser outfits to get in as well. I bet you can't wait!

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend.
xxx

24 comments:

  1. Wisteria are fickle. We had one on the farm. Kept alive 12 years without a single bloom.
    Looking forward to your black and white challenge. I have a weakness for white spots on navyu-and own too many dresses to count. I should set myself a similar challenge but I probably wont ;)
    Looking forward to seeing your snaps of Cornwall. Best wishes for a happy birthday to your OH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Goody; 12 years and not a bloom! I am keeping my fingers crossed ours produces more than one bloom next year. I am the eternal optimist...

      Delete
  2. I just love all your outfits, Vronni! You must be a bloom yourself, walking all over the place. I admire that you scout out these long walks - what fun! I walk almost everywhere in my town - it's such good exercise and so good for the brain. I'm in the middle of a fat book of short stories about "Dangerous Women" - I need to carve out more time to read.

    Love all your pictures! The wisteria is out here too - I noticed bright yellow and purple all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I've seen purple, pink and white Wisteria, Sheila but never yellow!

      Delete
  3. love all those awesome Wisteria and lots of interesting walks! I do love your colorful t-shirts and fab linen jackets in bold colors, such nice ensembles.
    And so lovely 'zebra print' trousers, they rock!. And the last outfit is also amazing, love those orange touches!, gorgeous!
    Not that bad that you have 8 black&white trousers, they're pretty versatile and cool!. Looking forward to see more of them!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica; I thought 8 pairs seemed a bit excessive!
      xxxx

      Delete
  4. I'm sooo glad you've got your mojo back because you have such an eye for outfits and colour combos. I don't know which one is the best, but it's the sunny colours you put together I love. That turquoise jacket and then the yellow, maybe, but all combinations of trousers, skirts and tops are just ace. You really are the queen of charity shop shopping - so pleased to see you post about your walks and your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pleased to see you in full form again, Vronni. So many wonderful outfits to choose from! It's difficult to choose a favourite, but if I must, it will be the yellow and blue outfit with the maxi skirt, which has such a Summery feel to it. As always, I'm in awe of all your amazing necklaces! Well done on completing that walk without getting lost. It's never been my forte: even with a map AND description, I often manage to get lost! Happy birthday to OH, and have the most wonderful time in Cornwall! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bevvy of fabulous outfits! If I had to chose a favourite it would be the yellow and blue outfit, the colours of Sweden!
    Your black and white outfit comes a close second because I love the necklace.
    That Wisteria is gorgeous, isn't it? I don't think there's much around here. I must go for a walk around the block to make sure.
    Glad Hilary had a fabulous time. Cornwall should be brilliant, I've only ever been once. I loved Fowey.
    The crochet is coming on a treat. I should have enough squares to make a blanket for the festival season very soon. My progress has been hindered as everything I watch on TV recently is subtitled and I can't see the screen if I'm wearing my glasses to crochet.
    I haven't see The Split but love Nicola Walker. Spooks was one of the best TV series ever.
    Loved Salamander and The Bridge, what can I say?
    Do you watch much of the Walter channel over on Channel 4? I think we've watched almost everything on there now, there's loads I can recommend if you haven't. Loving Rough Justice on More 4 - a Belgian cop series very similar to The Bridge and Tabula Rasa, another Belgian series, was compelling, kept us guessing right until the end.
    Have a fab weekend. 2 hours till Saga! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these additional series, Vix. I've checked them both out and they look very good; I just have to find the time to watch them before they disappear!

      Would you believe I spied a wooden (homemade I think) dolls house and a bag of accompanying wooden dolls house furniture for 29.99 on Saturday in Royston! The first in months and months.

      xxx

      Delete
  7. Pleased to see you back again love the orange coat.!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What absolutely fabulous outfits. I don't know why no one picked up that turquoise jacket because it is just lovely. It must have been waiting specially for you! Those zebra trousers are just gorgeous. They look so comfy for the heat. Sharnbrook is very picturesque. I tend to avoid it as I hate driving there. Too many Chelsea Tractors steamrollering people out the way. I am glad that your friend had a nice time there. I have wisteria envy too. It is utterly gorgeous, such lovely purples. Thank you for the shout-out. I do love the Sally Army but am limiting myself to once a month, if that as I keep coming back with too much stuff and I am running out of room. :) XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly!

      I can quite understand you rationing your visits to the Sally Army to once a month - I think I would, too!

      I enjoyed walking in Sharnbrook; we went to Pinchmill Islands a very nice walk.
      xxx

      Delete
  9. What a fab selection of outfits - I look forward to seeing how the trouser challenge goes. It's good to know you've got your charity shop mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mim, I just have to keep the mojo on a tight rein...

      Delete
  10. Lovely outfits! I particularly like the zebra trousers, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I wish I could sew...I'm off to check out your blog!

      Delete
  11. My dear Vronni, love all your colours, especially the mustard! But you know, you look fab in black and white too. Think it's something to do with your No 1 accessory, your pretty face!!! The wisteria glimpses are doing something wonderful to my day too.
    You'll laugh. Today I tried the headscarf thing. I was meeting up with my hubby for a walk in the lanes after he'd picked up the paper. He had no idea I'd popped it on. I asked him what he thought of it. He said as he'd seen me approaching he'd wondered why I had a bird bobbing on my head! I must work harder at the look!
    Hugs, my lovely lady, x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary, couldn't you just kill husbands/partners sometimes? The things they come out with!

      I do hope you are persevering with the headscarf thing. I am just catching up with blogs so I will head over to yours to see if you have cracked it!

      Have a lovely weekend.
      xxx

      Delete
  12. Hey Vronni. I'm so glad you're back. I missed you and your meanderings. Mojo is a marvelous thing but it's hard to fake when it takes a break. Enjoy your trip to Cornwall. I am in love with all things UK so live vicariously through your photos and descriptions. I love your "Sally Army" nickname. Here we say, "Sally Anne" or "Sal's" - I know not why. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      Thank you so much!

      I hope to do a post sometime this week and will tell you all about Cornwall. It is a truly beautiful part of England and we were lucky with the weather.

      xxx

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

A weekend visitor and an exhibition

 Hello!  I'll soon be off to Ireland  so let me tell you what I've been up to over the last two weeks.  I'll start with a whinge...